Sledging is a the name of the game in Cricket. However, it’s pretty evident in football as well. Here’s my top 10 football sledges…
10. Joe Kinnear calls Charles N’Zogbia “Insomnia”. The French footballer never played for Kinnear again.
9. George Best rates David Beckham – “He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn’t score many goals. Apart from that he’s all right.”
8. Roy Keane to Mick McCarthy – “You were a crap player, you are a crap manager. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are manager of my country and you’re not even Irish, you English ****. You can stick it up your bollocks.”
7. Joe Kinnear launches a five-minute tirade against the press, using 52 swear words, soon after arriving as Newcastle boss.
6. Giovanni Trapattoni voices his opinion about the potential of signing Paolo Di Canio – “There will have to be a bubonic plage for me to pick Di Canio.”
5. Wimbledon’s entire team moon Alan Cork two days after winning the FA Cup, in 1988. Nine players were fined £750 each while the club was forced to pay £5,000.
4. David Beckham, in his early Real Madrid days, drops a clanger, calling a linesman a “Hijo de puta” – “son of a whore”. He was instantly red carded.
3. In 2002, Arsene Wenger made a wife reference to Sir Alex. Referring to Fergusons comments about how Man United was the best team in the Premiership – “Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.”
2. Sir Alex rips refree Alan Wiley for being fat and out of shape – “The referee was not fit enough. The game demanded a referee who was fit. He’s not fit. You see referees abroad who are as fit as butcher’s dogs. He was taking 30 seconds to book a player then having a rest. Ridiculous.”
1. Dave Jones makes fun of Carlton Palmer’s first touch – “Carlton covers every blade of grass on the pitch – but then you have to if your first touch is that crap.”