We’ve been treated to a few hum-dingers of the football moans in the past couple of weeks. Sir Alex Ferguson has been the king of the post-match rant and rave, ever since he pushed Kevin Keegan into psychological melt-down way back in 1996. But his old foe, Arsene Wenger, has been seemingly attempting to wrestle the title of chief-moaner off Ferguson, as the Arsenal manager has recently embarked on whinging about everything and everyone not associated with his beloved football club.
It’s almost born into a manager these days. If you don’t have at least three improper conduct charges by the time you retire, then in the management world, you’re deemed a failure. They will all tell you – the nice guys finish last. Maybe that’s why the Arsenal manager now insists on rubbing up the whole of football the wrong way. He came to England and was classified intelligent, insightful, calculated. 15 years on and the Frenchman looks like he could have an argument in an empty room.
But Wenger’s recent tirade of abusive behaviour has got me thinking: what are the funniest and most memorable manager rants of all time? There has been quite a few since the Premier League took shape in 1992. So I’ve tried to compile a list and some footage of some quite remarkable manager outbursts. Sit back and enjoy. If there is a particular favourite of yours I have left out, please let us know – I’d love to see more!
10. Arsene Wenger on Martin Taylor after he broke Eduardo’s leg was definitely one of those ‘heat-of-the-moment’ type rants. “He shouldn’t be allowed to play football again” – Pretty harsh, Arsene.
9. Over the years, Ferguson has had a pop at pretty much every referee, journalist and opposition manager. His attack on Alan Wiley was one of his best. He labelled him not fit enough and got himself a two-match suspended touchline ban for his troubles. Mind you, saying he ‘feared the worst’ when Martin Atkinson took charge of a recent game comes pretty close. But here is another type of Fergie rant: the whole Rooney saga got right under his skin, and he lets loose on a journalist after a Champions League tie.
8. Maybe not a Premier League game or the best known manager, but John Sitton really rips into his players at half-time. Leyton Orient are 3-0 down and he’s not happy. A rant of a different kind, but a rant, all the same.
7. Neil Warnock is another who is known for his post-match ranting. This may be a little calm for him, but he was clearly upset. Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t be with El Hadji Douf.
6. There couldn’t be a list of this kind that didn’t include everybody’s favourite ranting manager. Blackpool boss Ian Holloway, gives us his view on Wayne Rooney. Let’s be honest, we could have filled this list with Holloway rants, but I think this is the best from his time in the Premier League.
5. Excuse the language, but Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp, tells us exactly what he thinks of his ‘wheeler dealer’ nickname.
4. Whilst in charge of struggling Coventry City, Richard Keys managed to get under the skin of manager Ron Atkinson, who proceeded to finish the interview irately. Watch out for the bit at the end where he chucks the headphones at someone and quickly apologises. Good old Ron…
3. FACT. Rafael Benitez wasn’t ranted he just wanted to talk about ‘facts’. Another manager who fell victim to the Alex Ferguson mind games. Priceless…
2. During Joe Kinnear’s short and sweet stint as Newcastle manager, he approached the media and told them all exactly what he thought of them after writing stories he deemed untrue.
1. The most famous outburst of all time: Kevin Keegan in 1996. I referred to his special moment earlier on as this rant has gone down in football folk-law. Just once more. You all know the words… “I’d love it…”