This article is part of Football FanCast’s Transfer Focus series, which provides opinion and analysis on recent transfer news…
According to The Mirror (June 27, page 65), Aston Villa are set to make an improved bid for defender Adam Webster.
However, this summer’s saga seems to be forming around a potential incoming, rather than a possible departure.
Yet, the print version of The Mirror has now reported that they’re looking to make an improved bid for the Bristol City man.
Bristol Live reported earlier this week that Bristol City were looking for a massive £30m for the 24-year-old.
On the face of it, paying that fee for a player who has never played in the Premier League would be particularly strange.
Webster is hugely impressive in the air, better than Tyrone Mings, in fact, which is something we’ve already detailed. But if Villa are to sustain themselves in the top-flight it would be a mistake to ramp up their efforts after having an initial £12m bid knocked back.
CEO Christian Purslow told BBC Sport last month when speaking about transfers: “This is when poorly run businesses and clubs make mistakes. This is the time to pause, apply a cold towel and contemplate carefully exactly what we need to do.”
The centre-back may well be a top target but you can’t help but feel like improving their bid would be a mistake and would go against what Purslow has said.
In this situation, Villa must pause and contemplate carefully whether they need to spend that much on a central defender.
The club does need to add bodies in that area of the pitch but by improving on their previous bid, it would be questionable decision making.
You only need to look at what happened to Fulham last season. They spent over £100m, mostly on unproven Premier League talent, and they ended up getting relegated.
Villa, therefore, must be careful in their approach and ensure they don’t make a mistake on this transfer.
If they do, it could come back to bite Purslow and the club.