The Brazilian defender has been linked with a move to Barcelona, after the La Liga champions had a bid rejected earlier this month.
But Mourinho is keen to keep hold of Luiz, who scored seven goals in all competitions last season, and is unwilling to listen to offers from his old rivals Barcelona. Speaking ahead of his first game back as Chelsea boss, Mourinho made his opinion on Luiz clear.
“No chance he is going to leave. He is a player we want to keep. He is a player with four years (on his) contract, he just signed a contract last year. We like him. He is an important player and the club is not ready to sell him for any price,” Mourinho said.
The 50-year-old was then told that some press are reporting that Luiz has said he will be interested in a move away from Stamford Bridge, but the news didn’t scare the Blues boss.
“I don’t know if he said that,” he added.
“What I can say is that he is not going to. The last quotes I read were Luiz saying he is not speaking about clubs when he is with the national team, which is a fantastic quote that I appreciate. That is the last quote I have and it is an intelligent one.”
Mourinho will have to turn his focus to matters on the pitch, with Chelsea’s first game of the season against Hull kicking off on Sunday.
Should Luiz stay at Chelsea? Or would he be perfect for Barcelona?
Share your thoughts below!