According to reports in the Daily Mail, Chelsea are set to let out of favour winger Kenedy join Premier League rivals Newcastle United on loan during the January transfer window.
Well, the Daily Mail says that Blues boss Antonio Conte is willing to let the Brazilian leave on a temporary basis until the end of the campaign, having blocked Newcastle’s attempt to complete a similar deal during the summer.
The Daily Mail says that the Magpies will pay small loan fee to bring the 21-year-old to St James’ Park, with Rafa Benitez said to be a long-term admirer of the versatile left-sided player.
The report adds that the move will go through as long as Chelsea don’t pick up an injuries between now and the New Year, with any issues with Marcos Alonso especially likely to mean that the deal will be called off.
Even though Conte didn’t want to let the 21-year-old leave in the summer as he felt he would be needed this term, the Brazil U23 international has only made three appearances in all competitions – all of which have come in the EFL Cup.
The latest of those came as a left wing-back in the 2-1 quarter-final victory against Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night, but he couldn’t repeat the goal and assist he picked up in the 5-1 success against Nottingham Forest earlier in the campaign.
He certainly is.
Alonso is pretty much an ever-present in the left wing-back position and if Kenedy is never going to play because of it, then he needs to go elsewhere to aid his development.
Regular football in the Premier League with Newcastle will let Conte know if the 21-year-old is ready to play for Chelsea in the top flight, and it could easily be a make or break loan spell for the Brazilian.
With the Magpies currently in a relegation battle however, it certainly won’t be a walk in the park for him and he will need to show his quality on a consistent basis to ensure that he plays every week.