Crystal Palace have identified a number of strikers ahead of the January transfer window.
Along with these names, Rangers hitman Alfredo Morelos is said to be in the Eagles’ sights this winter, although one wouldn’t begrudge Palace chairman Steve Parish for being concerned by the Colombia international’s performance.
The 23-year-old Gers star – who has already netted 25 goals so far this season – endured a nightmare afternoon against Neil Lennon’s side on Sunday, extending his goalless streak against Celtic to ten games despite having a shed-load of chances to end that hoodoo.
Rangers had 16 shots to Celtic’s five, but still ended the day as losers following a catalogue of missed chances from their usually reliable marksman – Christopher Jullien’s goal came from the Bhoys’ only shot on target.
Morelos found himself thwarted by the in-form Fraser Forster on several occasions, but midway through the second half, it seemed like the diminutive forward would be able to finally net against the Bhoys when Jeremie Frimpong hauled him down in the penalty area.
Rangers’ No.20 stepped up, but once again saw his effort saved by Forster as his day went from bad to worse at Hampden Park.
Given the fact that Celtic are arguably the best side in Scotland, and of a considerably higher quality than the other teams from that part of the world who Morelos often bags against, it is quite worrying to see the Palace transfer target struggle to replicate his success against the Bhoys – one can only imagine how he would fare in the Premier League if he can’t score against Celtic.
Gerrard recently said that he wouldn’t sell Morelos for £50m, and if the Gers are going to demand a sizeable fee for their talisman, Palace will want assurances that he can net against sides of Premier League quality – such reassurance was not on show against Celtic on Sunday, to say the least.