Crystal Palace fans have taken to Twitter to react after The Daily Mirror (February 11, page 45) revealed that Jordon Ibe could be available on a free transfer this summer, as Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe has ‘no plans’ to renew the winger’s £38k-a-week contract at the Vitality Stadium.
What’s the significance of this for Crystal Palace, you may be asking?
Well, The Telegraph revealed last month that the south Londoners were looking at Ibe as a potential January signing, seeing as he seemed to be available on the cheap as a result of his contract situation and lack of game time for the Cherries – Ibe has made just three appearances for Bournemouth this term.
The former Liverpool forward – who cost Howe £15m when bringing him to the south coast – looks to have no future at the club, which has prompted a reaction from the Crystal Palace fans on Twitter who were clearly interested in this update on the January target.
Let’s see what they had to say…
Free agent and low wages, I admit he hasn’t been great recently but he wouldn’t be that bad of a squad player.
— SPH Selhurst (@SPHselhurst) February 11, 2020
Sounds like it’s bad but honestly wouldn’t say no https://t.co/kq008iUS4M
— Cal 🦅 (@CPFC_Cal) February 11, 2020
Good backup winger
— Ethan (@Ayew_SZN) February 11, 2020
To kick off the reaction, these three fans seemed to give their approval of Ibe arriving on a free.
@SPHselhurst conceded that the Englishman “hasn’t been great recently” but wouldn’t be a bad squad player – especially on a free and with low wages.
Elsewhere, Cal said that he “honestly wouldn’t say no” whereas Ethan added that the 24-year-old would be a “good backup winger” – if Ibe arrived at Selhurst Park, it seems like these three wouldn’t mind.
Scenes when zaha goes for 80m and Ibe comes in on a free for our only summer transfer business
— Ray (@rayapp82) February 11, 2020
Lads even getting points off the pitch
— Zain (@zaincpfc) February 11, 2020
Meanwhile, these two supporters decided to poke fun at the report.
Ray imagined the alarming prospect of Wilfried Zaha leaving for £80m and Ibe arriving on a free as the Eagles’ only summer transfer business.
Then, Zain referenced the former Wycombe attacker’s recent court case, in which he was found guilty of crashing his Bentley into a shop in Bromley and driving away.
Could do worse and we have done
— nicolides56 (@Cpfcrednblu1) February 11, 2020
Lastly, this supporter said that the Eagles could do worse and, in fact, have done worse, so is seemingly also fine with this transfer happening if it does come off.
In other news, check out Wilfried Zaha’s hilarious five-word response to a cringe-worthy Twitter video…