Jurgen Klopp has said that Sadio Mane is “in contention” to feature against Norwich this weekend.
The 52-year-old was talking during his pre-match press conference against the Canaries on Saturday, and he spoke about the fitness of his players.
Talking about Mane and James Milner, he said: “Of course they are in contention, it’s clear.
“When Millie and Sadio are back, you start thinking immediately. That’s how it is.
“It’s good news. They both trained from Monday – and they both trained through the last week anyway – so they are in contention.”
This could not be much more of a boost for Klopp. Mane is one of the world’s best players right now – he has scored 15 goals and provided 11 assists in all competitions for the Anfield outfit this term, whilst he won African Player of the Year last year and also finished fourth in the 2019 Ballon d’Or rankings.
The Reds should prevail against Norwich even without the Senegal international, though, and the Premier League is all but sewn up as they lead by 22 points at the top – they need just six wins from their remaining 13 matches to be crowned champions at the end of the season. However, they are still in the Champions League and the FA Cup – having as many players as possible fit, especially his best ones, will be vital to Klopp as he goes in search of a trio of trophies to add to the victories in the UEFA Super Cup and the Club World Cup.
A first league title in 30 years would likely be enough for most Reds fans as it is. But a treble would make this campaign a monumental one, and having Mane back in the side will only be a boost to those aspirations.