Liverpool youngster Raheem Sterling has admitted a new Anfield contract is close to being agreed, as reported by the Express.
The 20-year-old has been in talks with the club over an improved deal since October but has reportedly stalled on a number of negotiations since then.
But Sterling has today hinted that he ready to sign on the dotted line at Anfield, ending the increased speculation of a possible move to Real Madrid in the summer.
He said: “We’re working on it and hopefully it will be sorted soon.”
The England international is expected to put pen-to-paper on a new £70,000-a-week deal, which will come as a huge relief to boss Brendan Rodgers.
The Reds are currently on a run of ten Premier League games without loss and have given their chances of a top four finish a welcome boost, particularly after a slow start to the campaign, that saw them win just two of their opening six fixtures.
And Sterling believes such a run of form has given the Reds the belief that they can qualify for the Champions League for a second consecutive campaign.
“We Knew we were top-four material from the start of the season,” he said after Liverpool’s 2-0 victory at Southampton on Sunday.
“We need to keep performing and keep fighting, then we’ll definitely get to where we want to be.”