Manchester City ace hints at summer exit

Joleon Lescott Joleon Lescott, who is on Newcastle’s radar, has hinted he may have to leave Manchester City in order to play in next year’s World Cup.

The 30-year-old has struggled for first-team action at the Etihad Stadium this season with Roberto Mancini leaving him behind Vincent Kompany, Kolo Toure and Matija Nastasic in his central defensive pecking order.

It was no surprise that England coach Roy Hodgson opted to leave him out of his initial squad for the latest World Cup qualification games against San Marino and Montenegro.

But with injuries to a host of players and Rio Ferdinand’s decision not to link up with the squad creating an opening for Lescott, he started alongside Chris Smalling in Friday night’s 8-0 win in San Marino.

Looking ahead and Lescott, who has been linked with a move to Newcastle, former club Everton and Aston Villa, admitted that a move away from City for regular first-team football could be the only he way to ensure he will be on the plane to Brazil if England do make it to the World Cup.

“If you’d asked me last year what my chances were of making the World Cup squad, then I’d have said: “yeah, pretty good”. But you don’t know,” he said.

“If I can play more regularly at club level, then I think I’ll be there.”

Asked if that meant a move, he added: “Towards the end of the season, I’ll address that. But for now, I’m fully focused on England and what England need to do.”

[cat_link cat=”manchester-city” type=”grid”]