Sky Sports journalist Lyall Thomas says that Newcastle have rejected an approach from Blackburn Rovers for Christian Atsu.
The 69-time Ghana international moved to the Toon from Chelsea in 2017 for a fee of £6.2m. Since then, he has made 118 appearances for the St James’ Park outfit, scoring eight goals and providing nine assists. However, he has made just six starts for Steve Bruce this term after falling out of favour.
As such, Championship club Blackburn are said to have made an approach for the 28-year-old, but that has been knocked back. You can see Thomas’ tweet below.
— Lyall Thomas (@SkySportsLyall) January 31, 2020
Should the wide man make the move to England’s second tier, it would be the sixth club of his career. It remains to be seen whether the Lancashire side make another attempt to take him to Ewood Park at this late stage, or whether this will discourage them once and for all.
From Newcastle’s point of view they appear on course to finish the window with three additions to their name, after manager Steve Bruce confirmed on deadline day that they failed to sign Lille’s Boubakary Soumare in a deal that could have been worth up to £45m, according to Keith Downie on Twitter.