Newcastle fans react as Eliaquim Mangala is ruled out for the rest of the season

Reported former Newcastle United target Eliaquim Mangala has been ruled out until the end of the season because of a knee injury, and Magpies fans have been quick to have their say on the news.

The Daily Mail reported on January 29 that United manger Rafa Benitez had enquired about bringing the Β£80,000-a-week star to St James’ Park on loan before the January transfer window slammed shut last month, but the 26-year-old joined Everton in a similar deal instead.

However, just two matches into his time with the Merseyside outfit the centre-back picked up a knee injury that will keep him on the sidelines until after the climax of the campaign, with Toffees boss Sam Allardyce confirming he will be out for the long-term.

Newcastle supporters took to social media to give their thoughts on the injury update, and while one said “another bullet dodged”, another said “phew that was a close one”.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…