Daily Echo journalist Adam Leitch says that Southampton have not approached Portuguese manager Paulo Sousa about replacing Mark Hughes despite reports to the contrary.
Understand that #SaintsFC have not approached Paulo Sousa to replace Mark Hughes. Sousa was apparently in the boardroom at game against Fulham but not invited by Saints and not as a precursor to taking over at St Mary's
— Adam Leitch (@adamleitchsport) November 29, 2018
Well, a report in The Times on Wednesday said that the south coast outfit had been in discussions about potentially taking the reins from Hughes, who it was said had one game – against Manchester United at St Mary’s on Saturday – to save his job.
The Times also reported that the former Leicester City and Swansea City chief was at Craven Cottage for Saints’ clash with fellow Premier League strugglers Fulham last weekend, but Leitch has confirmed that he was not invited by Southampton and that it had nothing to do with him potentially becoming the club’s new manager.
It is clear to see that Hughes is under huge pressure from the Saints hierarchy right now with the club dropping into the relegation zone over the weekend, and with one win in 13 Premier League matches this season they are in desperate need of a win.
Whether that comes against Jose Mourinho’s men on Saturday evening remains to be seen, but while the south coast outfit haven’t approached Sousa yet, it certainly wouldn’t be a surprise if they did axe Hughes given Sousa managed in the Chinese Super League – a division Southampton owner Gao Jisheng is very much aware of given it is his home country.
Check out the video below to see how Brazil fans reacted to being asked how Cristiano Ronaldo would perform for them in a hilarious prank by Playmaker FC…