Southampton fans have taken to Twitter to react after Gianluca Di Marzio told Sky Sports that Everton have made Pierre-Emile Højbjerg their primary target this month as they look for a new midfielder.
The Denmark international’s contract with the Saints expires in the summer of 2021, and he would reportedly cost the Toffees a fee of around £35m, a figure which they are reluctant to pay.
Højbjerg – Southampton’s captain – is arguably one of Ralph Hasenhuttl’s most important players having made 22 Premier League starts so far this term.
Seeing as the former RB Leipzig manager has already issued a hands-off warning for Che Adams this month as he looks to keep his squad together, one presumes that it is highly unlikely that Hasenhuttl would let his captain leave St Mary’s this month.
The former Bayern Munich midfielder has made over 120 appearances for the Saints since arriving from the Bundesliga giants, scoring five goals and recording six assists.
Let’s see how the Southampton fans on Twitter reacted to the news…
No way Ralph will want to let him go, especially this month. #saintsfc
— Jake Wade (@J_Wade21) January 23, 2020
Not a chance.
— Chris O’Bee (@saintchrisobee) January 24, 2020
To kick off the reaction, Jake and Chris echoed our aforementioned feeling that Hasenhuttl will not want to lose the Dane this month, therefore plunging the chances of this transfer materialising into doubtful territory.
Jake said “no way Ralph will want to let him go” before Chris added “not a chance” after learning of Di Marzio’s update.
This is what happens when the team start playing well again, the bigger clubs think they can come pick our best players. Not saying Everton are a bigger club but they do think they are
— Mark stevens (@Giggsy66Mark) January 24, 2020
Elsewhere, Mark said that “this is what happens when the team start playing well again” before adding that bigger clubs think they can come in and cherry pick the Saints’ best players.
— Saint3dd (@Saint3dd) January 23, 2020
Meanwhile, this supporter simply said that it was “silly season” after hearing the Højbjerg news – it is quite a strange rumour given the midfielder’s importance to the club and the little time Hasenhuttl would have to find a replacement.
35 million and Schneiderlin coming back this way seems fair 😊👍
— Terry (@Bennett2Terry) January 24, 2020
I’d love to say he’d stay but honestly i wouldn’t blame him, they’re a top side and he’s a great player
— J-Dawg (@Jakey_rf) January 24, 2020
Lastly, two more fans shared their views on this news.
Terry said £35m and former Southampton man Morgan Schneiderlin coming back to St Mary’s “seems fair”.
J-Dawg added that they’d “love to say he’d stay” although they wouldn’t blame Højbjerg if he left, seeing as Everton are a “top side” and the 24-year-old is a “great player”.
In other news, this Daily Echo journalist has revealed how much it would cost to convince Southampton to sell Vestergaard…