Route to the Capital One Cup Final: Swansea City

Swansea City players celebrateSwansea City received a bye into the second round as one of the thirteen Premier League clubs not involved in European competition. They were drawn against Championship side Barnsley at the Liberty Stadium. Swansea won 3–1 after goals were scored by Danny Graham and two from Luke Moore.

Swansea’s third round opponents were Crawley Town. Played at the Broadfield Stadium, Michu put Swansea one goal ahead in the 27th minute. Josh Simpson and Hope Akpan put Crawley 2–1 ahead after 62 minutes. Graham levelled the tie in the 74th minute with header from a Dwight Tiendalli cross. Garry Monk scored an injury-time winner from a corner kick for Swansea. The match finished 3–2 and Swansea progressed to the fourth round.

In the draw for the fourth round, Swansea were drawn Liverpool at Anfield, where they would meet ex-manager Brendan Rodgers. Chico put Swansea in the lead. Nathan Dyer scored a second goal for Swansea from a six-yards cross from Pablo Hernández. Luis Suárez scored one goal for Liverpool, but a counter attack from Swansea led to a third goal for Swansea from Jonathan de Guzmán in the 90th minute.

Swansea were drawn to face Championship side Middlesbrough in the quarter-final. The only goal of the game came in the 82nd minute, after Middlesbrough defender Seb Hines headed the ball into his own net. Swansea held on to progress into the semi-final stage of the competition.

Swansea were drawn to play European Champions Chelsea in the semi-final. The first leg was played at Stamford Bridge. Michu scored a long range effort to give Swansea a 1–0 lead going into half-time. In the 90th minute, Danny Graham scored Swansea’s second goal of the game after a defensive error from Branislav Ivanovic. The match ended 2–0.

The second leg was played at Swansea’s Liberty Stadium. Michu had the best opportunity to score on the 9th minute but the game finished 0–0, with Swansea advancing to the final 2–0 on aggregate. In the 80th minute, there appeared to be an incident between a ball boy and Chelsea player Eden Hazard. Replays showed that the ball boy was shielding the ball from Hazard in an attempt to waste time and Hazard proceeded to try and kick the ball from underneath the boy. Referee Chris Foy deemed that Hazard had kicked the ball boy, and Foy sent Hazard off with a straight red card for violent conduct. It was a dark end to a game that saw Swansea progress to their first major English cup final in their 100-year history.

[cat_link cat=”swansea-city” type=”grid”]


Switch to Snack Football to browse all blogs, videos and new featured content
snack football unit grey closesnack football unit green-tick