Tottenham Hotspur attacking midfielder Christian Eriksen has rejected a move to Manchester United, according to journalist Tom McDermott.
— Tom McDermott (@MrTomMcDermott) June 16, 2019
The Denmark international outlined his intention to leave Spurs this summer earlier this month.
It appeared at the time that he would be joining Real Madrid but they have since acquired the likes of Eden Hazard and Rodrygo, while they are now targeting United’s Paul Pogba.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are said to have enquired about the possibility of signing the 27-year-old.
However, McDermott reports that Eriksen simply said “no”.
Indeed, Spurs will be playing in the Champions League next season – they finished five points clear of sixth-placed United in 2018/19 – while United will be playing Europa League football.
Eriksen may actually be forced to stay at Spurs.
A move to Madrid at this stage appears unlikely, particularly given their pursuit of Pogba, with some reports even claiming Zinedine Zidane only has eyes for his countryman at this point. A move for the Dane is only likely to come about if their bid for the Frenchman falls apart.
A switch to United would not have been the “step up” that he claimed to be looking for but he would almost certainly have increased his wages at Old Trafford.
The Telegraph, who describe Eriksen’s status as ‘in limbo’, also claim Tottenham would demand £130m for Eriksen if another Premier League club were to come in for him – an extortionate figure for a player with one year left on his contract.
Now, Eriksen’s left with dwindling options and there is a very real possibility that he will be left either signing a new deal or waiting for next summer to make a move.
It’s a remarkable situation for him to be in; having outlined his intentions, one imagines he will have expected a flurry of bids to be tabled. Instead, he could make a rather embarrassing climb down.