According to reports in The Sun, in-form Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Mousa Dembele is a target for Chinese Super League side Beijing Sinobo Guoan before their transfer window slams shut at the end of this month.
Well, The Sun says that the Chinese outfit are ready to double Dembele’s current £80,000-a-week wage with the north London outfit, handing the 30-year-old a lucrative three-year contract worth £160,000-a-week.
The Sun says that no official bid has been made for the Belgium international, but sources in China claim a deal could be done before their window closes on February 28.
The midfielder only has 18 months left on his deal with Spurs, but his displays in recent weeks could persuade the club to offer him an extension.
The Belgian was affected by injury earlier in the campaign and towards the end of 2017 and into 2018 he certainly didn’t look to be the same player that he was before.
However, the 30-year-old has been brilliant in his side’s matches against Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Juventus in the last few weeks, and he has dominated in the middle of the park and dominated the play.
The Tottenham star has shown his strength, skill on the ball and calmness in possession throughout those fixtures, and he has been a key player for them during that run.
Well, Mauricio Pochettino certainly wouldn’t want to lose him based on his performances right now and it would need to take a huge offer from the Chinese club to convince them to sell the 30-year-old before a crucial part of the season.
Spurs look to need the Belgian to not only help them finish in the top four in the Premier League, but also in the Champions League where they are in a good position to advance to the quarter-finals following their 2-2 draw against Juventus in Turin on Tuesday night.
It would be a surprise to see the player go too, unless he feels it is a financial opportunity and final decent pay day that is too good to turn down considering he turns 31 years of age in July.