The following article is a special report; all information presented, unless otherwise stated, has been gleaned from Football FanCast sources.
Tottenham Hotspur did make an enquiry for Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale but the former Spurs winger snubbed their advances, sources have told Football FanCast.
The club have spent the entire transfer window seeking attacking reinforcements following an injury sustained by striker Harry Kane.
However, they have only managed to bring in Steven Bergwijn from PSV Eindhoven, with moves for strikers such as Olivier Giroud and Willian Jose failing to bear any fruit.
Sources have informed FFC that there was a desire to do a deal for Bale, too, but that talks broke down over his unwillingness to return to north London.
The Wales international left Spurs in 2013 to join Real for a then-world record fee of £85m but the club have continually been linked with a move to bring him back.
The Times reported on Thursday that there had been a breakthrough in talks between the two parties and sources have confirmed that Real were open to doing a deal for Bale.
However, he is reported to earn £650,000-per-week before tax in the Spanish capital and one source familiar with Spurs’ recruitment has said that he would rather sit out his contract, which expires in 2022, than seal a big move away.
Indeed, it was not quite clear how chairman Daniel Levy would have financed such a deal to bring Bale in but he was not interested in hearing his proposal.
Real boss Zinedine Zidane subsequently told the media on deadline day that the forward would be remaining at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Per Sky Sports, Zidane said: “Gareth is here with us and I am counting on him. I am not contemplating this possibility (his exit).”
Spurs are set to end the window without signing a recognised centre-forward and their pursuit of Bale is likely to end here; his stance is unlikely to soften come the summer.