According to an interview he has done with The Independent, former Leeds United striker Chris Wood has denied that he refused to play in the Whites’ Championship fixture against Sunderland in August as a transfer to Burnley moved closer to completion.
The New Zealand international, who scored 30 goals in all competitions for the Yorkshire outfit last season, completed his move to Turf Moor two days after the clash against the Mackems for a fee that could rise to £18m, but The Independent says that he has since been accused of making himself unavailable for selection for the match at the Stadium of Light.
However the 25-year-old, who has already netted three times in seven appearances in all competitions for Sean Dyche’s men, says that a deal was agreed 24 hours prior to the Sunderland game and one of the stipulations was that he couldn’t feature for Leeds for the last time with the matter being taken out of his hands.
Wood told The Independent: “Nobody understands that the bid Burnley put in was subject to me not playing against Sunderland. And everybody thinks that I refused to play.
“The bid went in at 3pm on the Friday and got accepted at 5pm on the Friday. It was completely out of my hands whether I played or not.
“Burnley took that out of the equation, because they didn’t want the worst to happen.”
Whether those comments will be enough to appease the Leeds supporters that gave Wood a mixed reaction when the two clubs met in the EFL Cup last month remains to be seen, and it is probably best that all parties just move on.