Newcastle fans react as Aleksandar Mitrovic is linked with Brighton move

According to reports in The Mirror, Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is a January target for Premier League rivals Brighton and Hove Albion, and Magpies fans have been quick to have their say on the rumour.

The Mirror says that Seagulls boss Chris Hughton sent his scouts to watch the Serbia international in action for his country in their 3-2 defeat against Austria on Friday, as he looks to boost a frontline that has scored just five goals in their opening seven top flight fixtures this season in the New Year.

Even though the 23-year-old has scored two goals in two appearances in all competitions for Rafa Benitez’s men this term, his future has once again been brought into doubt because of his poor temperament after he was handed a retrospective three-match ban for elbowing West Ham United’s Manuel Lanzini in August.

Newcastle supporters took to social media to give their thoughts on the news, and while some said they should “ask for £30m” after Brighton refused to sell Anthony Knockaert to them previously, others said “they can have him”.

Here is just a selection of the Twitter reaction…