Capital One Cup Round Three – Round Up

Tuesday night saw two big shocks in the Capital One Cup third round as struggling Aston Villa overcame Manchester City after extra time, while Everton crashed out at Leeds United live on Sky Sports.

Villa have had a poor start to the season and were thumped at Southampton on Saturday so not many people saw this result coming. Mario Balotelli was recalled to the City line up and he scored the opener in the first half to calm the nerves of all at the Etihad.

Aston Villa were not about to give up though and Andreas Weimann’s cross was deflected in by former Villa captain Gareth Barry to level the scores. However, City made some substitutions quickly followed by Alexander Kolarov smashing home City’s second to regain the lead. Once again Villa pilled on the pressure and it paid dividends as Gabriel Agbonlahor netted to send the game into extra time.

Neither manager will have been happy with their sides having to play another 30 minutes and possibly penalties after a hard fought game but Villa were clearly now on top and further goals from Charles N’Zogbia and another for Agbonlahor completed a terrific turn around and put Villa’s name in the hat for the fourth round.

At Elland Road, Leeds United outplayed a strong Everton side who didn’t look like the team that had enjoyed an extremely positive start to the Premier League season. A goal inside five minutes from Leeds winger Aidan White set the hosts up perfectly for a hard fought win. Leeds were the better side before the break and continued that after, with summer signing Rodolph Austin doubling their advantage with twenty minutes left.

Sylvain Distin scored a late header to set up a nervy final few minutes, but Leeds were able to hold on in the scrappy second half and knock out Premier League opposition.

Elsewhere, Chelsea thumped Championship side Wolves 6-0 thanks to goals from Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand, Juan Mata, Oriol Romeu, Fernando Torres and a first Blues goal for Victor Moses, putting the West London club as favourites for the Capital One Cup after an emphatic victory.

Swansea came from behind to score a last minute winner away at League One Crawley where the shock looked to be on as goals from Josh Simpson and Hope Akpan cancelled out a first half Michu strike to set up an engrossing final twenty minutes. The Swans Premier League quality shone through as the Town players became tired and substitute Danny Graham thumped home the equaliser before long serving Gary Monk stole the headlines in the first minute of added time.

Wigan Athletic took just 70 supporters to Upton Park to take on West Ham, but the coach load left happy after a superb display saw them run out 4-1 winners as both teams made changes to their sides from the weekend. Two rare goals from Mauro Boselli, a screamer from defender Ivan Ramis and a late penalty slotted home by Jordi Gomez all came after West Ham took the lead through summer signing Modibo Maiga.

Paolo Di Canio’s Swindon Town are fast becoming the fairy tale story of this seasons Capital One Cup after knocking Stoke City out in the last round, they dispatched Burnley at the County Ground with relative ease. Strike partners Paul Benson and Andy Williams gave Town a two goal lead before Swindon old boy Charlie Austin pulled one back for Championship Burnley. A late header from Troy Archibald-Henville sealed the win for the hosts who are in the hat for the fourth round.

Two stunning second half goals from Craig Gardner and James McLean were enough to give Sunderland the victory at MK Dons despite playing the majority of the game with ten men as midfielder Lee Cattermole was sent off in the first half.

Southampton made it back to back wins as a brace from £6million summer signing Jay Rodriguez was enough to defeat Championship strugglers Sheffield Wednesday at St Mary’s in front of fewer than 10,000 fans.

Early goals were the key for Middlesbrough as they overcame League One Preston, with goals from Merouane Zemmana and Emmanuel Ledesma putting the visitors 2-0 up inside twenty minutes. Jack King pulled one back for North End but youngster Richard Smallwood finished the hosts off with twenty five minutes to play.

Saving the best until last, the League Two battle between Bradford and Burton was possible the game of the round so far as substitute Nahki Wells scored twice in the final seven minutes for Bradford to send the game into extra time cancelling out first half strikes from Billy Kee and Aaron Webster. It was written in the stars for Bradford to come out of this on top and former Liverpool defender Stephen Darby gave the hosts the win in the first half of extra time.