Tottenham manager Antonio Conte has delivered an injury update on Oliver Skipp ahead of his side’s Premier League clash against Everton on Monday night.
Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of the game against the Toffees on Monday night, the Spurs boss said: “Bentancur is available and the same for Lucas Moura. Skipp and Tanganga still not available.
“He’s (Skipp) still not ready. Still having a problem with a groin pain. He’s fighting and he could recover before but maybe something was wrong and now we have to wait.”
While news of Rodrigo Bentancur’s return is a welcome boost for Conte, Skipp’s absence is surely a worry for the 52-year-old.
The midfielder has enjoyed far more opportunities in the Premier League this season following his loan spell at Norwich last year, making 18 appearances in the top flight. His absence in the past five top-flight games for Spurs has coincided with a real drop-off in form, with the Lilywhites suffering three defeats in that span.
When he has been on song, Skipp has provided a measure of calm to the Spurs midfield, and given how much progress he has made in recent years, that is no surprise.
Speaking after the youngster’s debut against Burnley way back in December 2018, then-Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino waxed lyrical about the club’s latest prodigy.
He said: “He’s a proper midfielder, a very talented midfielder. He links the game well, always looking forward, very aggressive, his energy is amazing and he’s such a clever guy off the pitch as well as on it, that’s so important for the team. He’s a top player and a top kid and I’m sure he will have a very successful career.”
With the Premier League season heading into the final sprint, Conte will be desperately hoping to keep players fit, and news of Skipp’s continued absence is a big blow for him and Tottenham.
Meanwhile, Spurs are leading the race for this starlet…