The managerial saga that has engulfed Tottenham Hotspur is showing no signs of slowing down after a major update was dropped on Sunday evening.
It took Daniel Levy and Spurs over two months to find a replacement for Jose Mourinho but his successor may only last 17 games in the hot seat.
Spurs got off to a flyer under new manager Nuno Santo at the beginning of the season with the Portuguese guiding his team to three straight wins in the top-flight.
The football was never convincing, however, but all that mattered was getting some early points on the board.
Unfortunately, since then, the pressure has mounted upon the former Wolverhampton Wanderers boss who has overseen just five wins in the last 12 outings.
The Lilywhites did beat Burnley last week but that has been sandwiched by dismal defeats to both West Ham and Manchester United. As a result, it looks as though Nuno is heading for the exit door.
A late-night tweet by reliable journalist Matt Law on Sunday was the source of the news as he revealed:
“My information is that Nuno remains on the brink of the sack tonight after a day of talks regarding his Tottenham future. Expectation remains a change is likely to be made.”
Judging by the way Tottenham supporters reacted to the 3-0 defeat to Man United last weekend, this is news that will surely come as music to the ears of those who were inside the stadium.
Fans at the ground could be heard booing at full-time and the reaction to Lucas Moura’s substitution said it all.
He was hauled off with Steven Bergwijn preferred but it was met by a chorus of displeasure as supporters in the background of Nuno could be seen gesticulating unpleasantries.
Levy is said to have been left fuming after the match and it’s hardly a surprise.
When searching for a new manager after Mourinho’s departure, the Tottenham chief envisaged somebody who would value the traditions of attacking football at Spurs.
Sadly, the Portuguese’s short tenure in north London has been anything but offensive.
With the club sat 8th in the Premier League table, they have averaged the second-fewest shots per game of any side in the top-flight with just 10.3 per outing. That’s hardly surprising when you consider they’ve scored nine times which is less than both Burnley and Newcastle who are sat inside the relegation zone.
It’s a wretched record and consequently, Spurs fans will only be too delighted if the 47-year-old is told to pack his bags.
After all, the Spurs crowd generated a ‘NoToNuno’ campaign on social media before he’d even walked through the doors.
They will no doubt be ecstatic if he is given the boot before their clash with Vitesse on Thursday evening. Sadly, it’s time to say goodbye to the Portuguese.