In an exclusive interview with Football FanCast, Tottenham Hotspur icon Gary Mabbutt has reacted to Giovani Lo Celso’s latest injury setback as Jose Mourinho’s side prepare to face Wolverhampton Wanderers this evening.
The Argentine playmaker was withdrawn early in the second half against Leicester City last weekend and was not involved in their Carabao Cup quarter-final with Stoke City despite Spurs fielding a strong-looking lineup.
The extent of this latest problem is not yet known, though it is not the first time the 24-year-old has been dealt a blow.
Earlier in the campaign, Mourinho even criticised Lo Celso’s fitness, he told reporters, via Sky Sports:
“I feel that when he plays he’s not the Gio that we know, not the Gio that we know that he can be an amazing player. But with the ball of course great criteria and he knows what he’s doing of course, and understands the way we want to play. But we need more intensity to be fitter, to be more intense and to be stronger in the transitions.”
However, despite the latest setback, Mabbutt isn’t too worried as he believes the north Londoners have the squad depth to cope during his absence…
He told FFC:
“Again, it’s a blow to lose any player.
“Everyone talks about how Harry Kane has missed games in the last few seasons with injuries. If Harry Kane isn’t there, then someone will step up. You know, Vinicius. He could come in. [Other] players can step up to the mark.
“We could put out two first teams of players, so I’m not too disappointed.
“When a player is injured, don’t take risks. Don’t make it so they could be out six weeks rather than two weeks.
“The medical team that we have are fantastic, so no, I’m not too concerned about the injury. Hopefully, it won’t be too serious.”
Indeed, Mourinho has an array of options at his disposal – Tanguy Ndombele could come back in or even Gareth Bale could be deployed there too.
Erik Lamela has also just returned from a stint on the sidelines too and came on in the role during the second half of Wednesday’s encounter.