Tottenham Hotspur may still be without Sergio Reguilon on Thursday as Antonio Conte’s depleted side head to the Midlands to face Leicester City…
That’s according to the ever-reliable football.london reporter Alasdair Gold, who delivered a fresh update on the Spaniard’s situation ahead of the game, having been absent since his withdrawal just 22 minutes into the win over Norwich City ten days ago.
The 24-year-old posted on social media after the match that it wasn’t anything to worry about and that he would be back soon, though that does not appear to be the case now.
“I am told that Sergio Reguilon is not fully training yet after that one (his injury against Norwich), he is on his way back but I just wonder if Thursday might come too soon,” Gold claimed on his YouTube channel.
The young left-back has been a vital player for Spurs this season, particularly under the Italian as his wing-back system has allowed him to thrive in both attack and defence.
He had started 13 games in the Premier League prior to injury, with WhoScored ranking him as Conte’s fifth-best player so far. Defensively, he has chipped in with a squad-high 1.9 interceptions and 1.5 tackles, whilst in the final third, he leads the way for assists (three) and has also averaged one key pass per game.
Reguilon’s importance to the 52-year-old head coach is reflected by comments from the player himself just last month. He told the Evening Standard:
“I’ve never played five at the back before. I have to learn quickly. The gaffer has told me he wants me to be solid in defence but at the same moment I have to arrive in the box, help the strikers, score goals, give assists. Now I have more of a chance to score goals and give assists. So let’s work.”
Now, if he is unavailable on Thursday, it remains to be seen exactly who could replace him in the starting XI because Conte has not had his full squad available due to a virus outbreak at the club’s training ground.
That has put pay to two fixtures thus far and no players have been named. If everyone is available, then he is likely to turn to Ryan Sessegnon, who was sent off in his first start under Conte, as Ben Davies is a left-sided centre-back in this system.
On the above evidence, not having the £22.5m-rated dynamo back involved is certainly a gutting blow to Spurs and one that should leave the manager concerned.