Tottenham Hotspur have denied the recent reports to emerge suggesting they could take on investment from Qatar Sports Investments.
According to the journalist Ben Jacobs, Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, has spoken with Nasser Al-Khelaifi about a potential opportunity to invest in the north London club.
It is reported the pair met in London earlier this week in an exploratory meeting with the Middle East organisation looking to invest in another club this year.
However, the reliable Spurs correspondent Alasdair Gold has spoken on his latest YouTube channel about the reports to have surfaced on Sunday to suggest they are somewhat wide of the mark:
(4:30) “Look, I don’t really like to comment on other people’s reports because I don’t want to seem like I’m doing them down or being disrespectful to anyone else’s reports.
“The only thing I can say is that myself and others, you know, will have all checked this out with Spurs as well after, you know, this has kind of gone out there. And I think it sounds like we’ve all got exactly the same response, told that there was absolutely no truth to it.
“Of course. You’ve got to take that as you will. That’s not me saying that the report is rubbish or anything like that whatsoever.”
The initial report from Jacobs will have certainly filled some Spurs fans with optimism that there could be some major investment pumped into the club due to the financial backing Paris Saint-Germain has received from Qatar.
PSG have been ranked as one of the top 10 wealthiest clubs in the world under the Qatari regime following the recent takeover seen elsewhere in the Premier League with Newcastle United.
However, we have also seen the controversy that comes with big investments from certain areas in the Middle East with Newcastle’s takeover heavily scrutinised after PIF completed the acquisition back in 2021.
And this will naturally cause some Spurs fans to hold some reservations over a potential Qatar-bassed investment following the huge criticism the nation received over the 2022 World Cup.
Qatar’s human rights record was the main off-field talking point across football towards the back end of last year as they hosted the top nations for the first-ever winter World Cup.
There was a fair sum of money spent in the summer, however, it seems as if some of the players brought in may not be living up to their price tags with the likes of Yves Bissouma looking like a shell of the player who was shining with Brighton & Hove Albion.
However, as Gold suggests the club are shutting down these claims, some fans may take the message with a pinch of salt in the hope the Lilywhites are just trying to deal under the radar with the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United said to be up for sale.