According to reports in the Daily Mail, Tottenham Hotspur have told Manchester United that Eric Dier is not for sale at any price after they were linked with a £50m move for the England international by The Telegraph on Friday.
Well, the Daily Mail says that United have a long-term interest in Dier and that they discussed a potential deal with Spurs earlier this year, but they were told that the 23-year-old isn’t available and there have been no talks between the two clubs since the end of the season.
It is a slightly different account to the one The Telegraph previously gave, when they said the north London outfit would be willing to listen to offers in the region of £50m for the former Sporting Lisbon star.
Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho turned his attentions to Dier after realising that signing Everton striker Romelu Lukaku from under the noses of Chelsea ended any hope that he could bring Nemanja Matic to Old Trafford, according to The Telegraph.
Despite being a regular and impressing in the Tottenham midfield during the 2015/16 season, the 23-year-old lost his place to Victor Wanyama last term with him and Mousa Dembele often fighting to partner the Kenyan in the middle of the park.
However, the Three Lions star is also able to play at centre-back and that is exactly what happened towards the end of the campaign when Mauricio Pochettino played three at the back, meaning Dier partnered Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld in the backline.
It certainly didn’t affect his first team opportunities too much as the versatile player still made 48 appearances in all competitions as Spurs once again competed for the Premier League title, scoring two goals and providing a further two assists.
They certainly are.
Dier’s versatility makes him a crucial part of the Tottenham squad and Pochettino knows that the 23-year-old won’t let him down, wherever he is playing.
That will once again be vital as the club looks to adapt to its new Wembley home next season.
It’s difficult to say but having missed out on Matic and now Dier, Mourinho could turn his attentions to signing Monaco midfielder Fabinho, having been heavily linked with a move for the Brazilian this summer.
WATCH THE LATEST 442OONS VIDEO BELOW…