According to reports in the Daily Express, Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has played down rumours that the club is in talks with Dele Alli over a new contract.
Well, The Sun had reported over the weekend that the 21-year-old was in discussions with Spurs over a new deal worth in excess of £100,000-a-week, but speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of his team’s Carabao Cup clash against Barnsley on Tuesday, Pochettino denied that was the case.
The Times also reported on September 14 that the England international had split with agent Rob Segal and was looking for a new adviser for the next step in his career, with super-agents Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola among those interested in representing him.
When questioned about Alli, the Argentine boss said: “Rumours, rumours.
“Like always I tell you, when something happens, or some decisions happen, the club will communicate.”
It’s difficult to say, but you would think he probably is considering Alli hasn’t named his new agent yet.
That said, Spurs will want to tie their key man down after two outstanding campaigns with the north London outfit, but Daniel Levy will certainly be worried about the wages the 21-year-old could demand in order to commit his future to the club.
After scoring 22 goals and providing a further 13 assists in 50 appearances in all competitions last season, the attacking midfielder has started the current campaign looking slightly off colour, despite scoring two goals in his opening five Premier League outings.
His European ban and the controversy over the middle finger salute he gave in England’s win over Slovakia earlier this month certainly hasn’t helped, and the former MK Dons man will be looking to rediscover his best form in the coming weeks and months.