In Focus: Ross Barkley injury could see Everton miss out on huge transfer fee

According to reports in the Daily Mail, Everton midfielder Ross Barkley after he suffered a hamstring injury in training on Monday, and it could see the club miss out on at least a £25m fee for the in demand star this summer.

What’s the word, then?

Well, the Daily Mail says that the 23-year-old, who is a summer transfer target for Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Arsenal after turning down the chance to extend his stay at Goodison Park, went down clutching his leg during a training session at their Finch Farm training base.

The Daily Mail says that Barkley had to be helped from the field and it could put a move away before the transfer window closes at the end of this month into doubt, which would be a blow for both the player and Everton.

With the England international refusing to sign a new deal and with less than a year remaining on his contract, the Merseyside outfit had been looking to sell him now rather than losing him for nothing in 2018.

While they are looking to get £50m for him, the likes of Spurs are reportedly only willing to pay £25m for his services, according to The Telegraph on August 8.

How did Barkley do last season?

The attacking midfielder scored five goals and provided a further nine assists in 36 Premier League appearances to help the Toffees to a seventh-place finish and to qualify for Europa League football, but it wasn’t enough to convince him that his future lies at Goodison Park.

His slightly inconsistent showings may not have convinced manager Ronald Koeman that he is the answer in the central attacking midfield position either as the club looks to eventually challenge for the top four in the Premier League, as well as make progress in Europe this term.

What happens next?

It will be interesting to see what the diagnosis of the injury is.

Koeman has already signed Davy Klaassen from Ajax this summer as well as continuing to target a deal for Swansea City playmaker Gylfi Sigurdsson, there doesn’t appear to be room for Barkley to stay.

It is clear that the Dutchman expected the England international to leave to avoid losing him for free, but he may have to rethink his plans in the remaining weeks of the window following the setback for the 23-year-old.