According to reports in the Daily Mail, Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino wants to sign three more players before the transfer window slams shut at the end of this month following the arrival of Davinson Sanchez from Ajax on Friday.
Well, speaking ahead of his side’s Premier League clash against Chelsea at Wembley on Sunday, the Daily Mail says that Pochettino said he wanted to bring four new players to the club before August draws to a close having failed to sign a single player this summer.
However, on Friday evening the club announced the club-record £42m arrival of Sanchez from the Dutch giants, but the Argentine boss isn’t finished there when it comes to new additions.
Asked about new signings, the 45-year-old said: “I want four players if possible but it is not easy.
“We need time to work. We always sign three or four, every season. It’s important to try to assess the players who have possibility to come.”
The Daily Mail suggests that deals for Everton’s Ross Barkley, Southampton’s Paulo Gazzaniga and Celta Vigo’s Pape Cheikh Diop are still in the pipeline, but it remains to be seen whether they go through with the former in particular potentially in doubt after he suffered a serious hamstring injury in training.
It’s difficult to say.
While Sanchez could be a regular in the back three that Pochettino has preferred in recent months, Gazzaniga and Diop would likely be squad players at best while Barkley could be out of action until December because of his injury setback.
After finishing second last season Tottenham obviously have a strong squad, but you would think that they would need to also sign a right-back or right wing-back to provide competition for Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker-Peters following the departure of Kyle Walker to Manchester City last month.
Whether they look to bring in further players that would be first-team starters remains to be seen, but they are in a difficult situation in some ways as it would certainly be difficult to oust any of their regulars right now.