West Ham United appear very unlikely to re-sign Jesse Lingard before tomorrow’s transfer deadline…
That’s according to the ever-reliable ExWHUemployee, who delivered a fresh update on the Irons’ pursuit of last season’s impressive loan sensation amid reports linking them to former Everton midfielder Nikola Vlasic.
It’s thought that the east Londoners are on the verge of sealing a move for the CSKA Moscow playmaker after personal terms were agreed, per Football Insider.
He is seen as an alternative to Lingard, though signing both isn’t completely out of the realms of possibility. However, Ex says their chances of making a move for the Manchester United ace are quickly diminishing.
“It appears there is less and less chance of us getting Lingard. There is one more discussion planned but club accepting he is unlikely to move now,” he told his ‘The West Ham Way’ Patreon site.
It certainly makes sense that a move for any new attacking midfielder effectively writes off the Hammers’ chances of sealing a much-wanted return for Lingard.
The 28-year-old dazzled during a short-term stint at the London Stadium last season, where he delivered nine goals and five assists and ended the campaign as David Moyes’ second-highest player, per WhoScored figures.
Both the Scot and his assistant, Stuart Pearce, have made it abundantly clear that they wanted to bring Lingard back to the club before Tuesday’s deadline, and the fans were certainly desperate for that to happen too.
Earlier this month, much of the West Ham faithful pleaded with the club to re-sign the England international. “Buy him now,” exclaimed one supporter, whilst another claimed that his heart couldn’t take it anymore, as relayed by The Transfer Tavern, where there were plenty more behind the idea.
Therefore, this latest claim from ExWHUemployee will surely leave them absolutely gutted, even if they are signing another player in his position.
Lingard has now slipped down the pecking order even more at Old Trafford following the signings of Jadon Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo during this transfer window, so it seems rather perplexing that a move has not been made for him thus far.
He will find game time even harder to come by this season and that was largely the reason for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to let him leave to the Irons back in January.
Everything has aligned for a stunning return but as per the aforementioned report, it seems rather unlikely. Many around east London will surely be upset by this development.
AND in other news, Journalist says West Ham have around £25m to spent in remainder of the window…