Do Not Sell My Personal Information

West Ham United target January deal for Besiktas striker Vincent Aboubakar

David Sullivan can deliver David Moyes and West Ham United a physical goal threat by signing rumoured January target Besiktas striker Vincent Aboubakar.

What’s the word?

According to ExWHUemployee, Moyes is keen to bring Aboubakar to the Premier League after West Ham opted to sell Sebastien Haller to AFC Ajax last Friday.

The Ivory Coast international’s departure left Michail Antonio as the only recognised senior striker at the London Stadium, and sparked rumours of interest in a host of names now said to include Aboubakar plus Troy Deeney and Graziano Pelle.

Should West Ham sign Besiktas' Aboubakar?

Yes, he'd be perfect

Yes, he'd be perfect

No, he isn't good enough

No, he isn't good enough

Moyes is claimed to have admired Aboubakar for a while and sees his near-expiring Besiktas contract as a route to bring the Cameroon international, who has scored nine goals and provided two assists in 13 appearances this season, to the Premier League.

Aboubakar had wanted to join the Hammers back in 2017 before joining FC Porto, whom he departed last summer as a free agent and penned a one-year deal with Besiktas that features an option to extend based on his performances over the 2020/21 campaign.

His efforts at Vodafone Park as the third-top scorer in the Super Lig have helped Sergen Yalcin’s side top of the table after 17 games, despite a belief he joined the club out of shape and with no trace of his former self.

Forget Antonio

Aboubakar has overcome his initial issues readjusting to life in Turkey to become one of the division’s top strikers again, and would bring a physical goal threat with him if West Ham do decide to target the £6.5m-rated brute in search of a replacement for Haller.

1 of 10
West Ham United manager David Moyes celebrates after West Ham United's Manuel Lanzini scores their third goal v Tottenham

Who did West Ham beat in David Moyes' first Premier League match back in charge?

Aboubakar’s time with Porto took a sour turn over the past few years with the 2018/19 season heavily disrupted by a cruciate ligament rupture, before last term was met with just 10 outings across all competitions allowing for the speculation on his fitness to build.

But his only absences this term have come through tactical decisions and the loss of his mother last month, after which he returned to strike the opener in a 2-2 draw with Hatayspor.

His resilience and goal threat would be enough to rival Antonio at the London Stadium if targeted, and offer Moyes a physical attacker who knows where the goal is at a time the Hammers have only scored twice or more in a game in three of their last 13 fixtures across all competitions.

Antonio looked a shadow of himself on Monday night, too, as he continued his return from a hamstring injury, with a full 90 minutes under his belt the best that could be said for the 30-year-old’s appearance, having often failed to get a shot off at Stockport County.

AND in other news, West Ham risk signing another Sebastien Haller with a £25m January raid for a 6ft potential target

Article title: West Ham United target January deal for Besiktas striker Vincent Aboubakar

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: