David Moyes has opened up on West Ham United’s failures in the January transfer window.
In recent comments made to West Ham TV, the 58-year-old coach provided some insight as to exactly why he and his transfer team failed to bring any fresh faces to the club this winter, despite the Scotsman himself stating that he wanted to sign at least a new central defender and centre-forward in the market.
Speaking about the Hammers’ transfer window, Moyes said: “I would have loved to have said we’d got everything done and dusted early doors but, look, it wasn’t for the want of trying, that’s for sure.
“West Ham supporters can be reassured that we were really ambitious in what we were trying to do. We were really ambitious in trying to get good players and players who could help us and make a difference.
“We’ve also got Jarrod Bowen and it would be very difficult to get a better back-up to Micky Antonio than Jarrod. We were always looking to try and find replacements in several areas, but it just became pretty difficult in the end and we missed out on one or two late on.
“Overall, all I can say is that the board have been fantastic. We probably made three record transfer bids from the club in this January window and, let’s be fair, January is never really a great time.
“We’ve been quite good in January in the main and in the last few Januaries we’ve been here we’ve signed players and done quite well, but this one for some reason became tougher.
“I also believe it’s probably been tougher because we’re looking at a much different level of player now and trying to attract some of the top players throughout Europe.”
While it is all well and good targeting the signings of highly sought after players, something that will undoubtedly have been a difficult task for a club the size of West Ham – especially when competing against the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur for transfers – the fact remains that Moyes’ approach to the January window was simply not organised enough.
Indeed, from the outside looking in, it very much appeared as if the 58-year-old left the vast majority of his moves until the final stages of the winter window – if not deadline day itself – something that quite obviously puts extremely pressing time constraints on any transfer that is discussed.
This is evidenced by the Irons’ late move for the Atalanta centre-forward Duvan Zapata, as, despite agreeing a fee with the Serie A side regarding a loan to buy deal for the 30-year-old, the Hammers ultimately failed to complete the paperwork prior to Monday’s transfer deadline – seeing the move fall through.
However, should the club have identified the Colombia international as a target even a week earlier in the window – and subsequently placed a bid, had it accepted and agreed terms with the player – West Ham would not have been left with Michail Antonio as their only recognised striker for the second half of the campaign.
Indeed, it is because of the fact that West Ham are now attempting to sign a higher calibre of player that Moyes should have done his business in the opening stages of the window, rather than using the fact as an argument against being able to get any deals over the line.
As such, while the Scotsman would undoubtedly have been hoping to appease the London Stadium faithful with his comments on the club’s failed transfer business, it would not be surprising if Irons’ fans are far from happy with the manager’s reasoning for the Hammers’ lack of activity last month.