A reliable West Ham source has dropped a frustrating transfer update this week…
The Irons are thought to be closing in on the signing of Fiorentina centre-back Nikola Milenkovic, who would become only their second senior addition of the summer despite the Premier League returning this weekend.
However, the deal is far from complete as negotiations with agents continue.
That’s according to ExWHUemployee, who delivered some fresh information to supporters on his ‘The West Ham Way’ Patreon page. He said:
“Talks are still ongoing with the centre backs. Milenkovic deal is still not complete because of the difficulty in dealing with agents (that’s the excuse I have been given). There doesn’t appear to have been any progression today which in itself is a worry.
“Milenkovic trained with his club today, as he did yesterday.”
The Serbia international is expected to cost the Hammers around £14m, whilst a move for Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma could be back on after discussions collapsed last week, as per the Evening Standard.
But with a trip to Newcastle United merely days away, it’s hard to believe that David Moyes will have the new centre-back he’s craving in time for the start of the new campaign.
Their transfer plans have been rather frustrating thus far, as seen by the fact that their only signing has been the loan arrival of Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.
The longer they do not sign Milenkovic, the more doubt and worry will start to creep in around the London Stadium and as the trustworthy ExWHUemployee says, it’s “a worry.”
Moyes has made a central defensive addition one of his recent priorities due to Angelo Ogbonna’s injury concerns, so there’s a chance that his only two available options, Craig Dawson and Issa Diop, are the two to start at St James’ Park on Sunday.
One injury to either will put the 58-year-old in a nightmarish spot once again. You only have to remember the back end of last season, where injury troubles plagued the squad and it very nearly dented their European hopes.
The Scot needs more than Milenkovic, too. A new striker to provide the perfect foil to the injury-prone Michail Antonio has to be another priority, especially as they are facing a 50-plus game campaign. The 31-year-old has never started more than 24 league games since joining the Hammers.
Plenty of supporters have been left angered by their lack of activity this window and this update does no favours to Moyes or GSB.
The wait goes on.
AND in other news, West Ham insider drops exciting transfer claim about David Moyes…