Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should Wolves hire Rafa Benitez as Nuno’s successor?

Wolverhampton Wanderers without Nuno Santo will be a strange sight.

He and Fosun have completely changed the way this team and Molineux are seen. They’ve been transformed from a mid-table Championship side to an outfit with heavy European ambitions.

Unfortunately, Wolves didn’t come anywhere close to achieve those goals this term, finishing in the bottom half of the Premier League.

Therefore, a fresh start could be beneficial. It’ll give the club an opportunity to reset and work out where they want to go in the future.

Jorge Mendes has delved into his deep book of clients to suggest both Bruno Lage and Paulo Fonseca but Frank Lampard is also reportedly on their radar.

However, no one commands more respect or has a bigger aura in the game than a certain Rafa Benitez.

Who would you prefer at Wolves?

Lage

Lage

Benitez

Benitez

Lampard

Lampard

Speaking exclusively to Football FanCast this week, former Newcastle defender Steve Howey suggested he’d be a good appointment for the Old Gold: “I would imagine that somebody like Rafa Benitez will be inundated with offers, but whether they are offers from Premier League teams, I’m not too sure.

“[Wolves are] obviously a club that has turned around its fortunes brilliantly and they seem to be quite a well run club who appear to have some financial backing. So again, I wouldn’t disregard that idea of somebody like Rafa going there.”

The former Newcastle boss is currently out of management following a spell in China and is seeking a return to English football.

A Champions League-winning manager with Liverpool, the Spaniard has a habit of attracting trophies, taking home the Europa League with Chelsea and securing the Club World Cup at Inter Milan. That’s without forgetting the two La Liga titles he won with Valencia earlier in his career.

Benitez is one of the most endearing managers around and with no compensation package required, this feels like a no-brainer for Wolves.

A master on the training ground, his meticulous attention to detail could be what’s required in order to take them to the next level.

During his time at Newcastle, Benitez’s training sessions would usually last 60-90 minutes, with a large emphasis on exercises related to game preparation and tactics. 80% of the session would be work undertaken with the ball, while the other 20% would be focused solely on fitness and conditioning.

The former Liverpool boss is also big on using analytics. In Merseyside, the 61-year-old used a Spanish tool called Amisco, an app that’s now merged with Prozone and Opta.

1 of 11

Can you guess these obscure Wolves players? Here's the first one...

Adept at feeding his players intricate levels of detail, it could prove the difference in improving a number of Wolves players. After all, there is plenty of potential to be extracted from the likes of Fabio Silva and Adama Traore, two individuals who may benefit from more emphasis on the training pitch.

Benitez might not be a coach seeking a long-term project but that shouldn’t deter Fosun from considering him for the vacant position. After all, this is a coach hailed by Pep Guardiola and loved by Jurgen Klopp, someone who called him a “fantastic manager”

He is somebody who’d instantly command the respect of the dressing room.

AND in other news, Imagine him & Lage: Shi can form a magical Wolves duo by signing “powerful” £26m gem…

Article title: Should Wolves hire Rafa Benitez as Nuno’s successor?

Please leave feedback to help us improve the site: